Ten Things I Found to Complain About my First Two Weeks in Seattle


Anyone who's anyone knows that I complain a little bit... 
a substantial amount.... 
a lot.

It's kind of my thing, but I honestly don't really mean most of the things I complain about.  I think it's kind of a British thing too, complaining is just how we make conversation, I don't think we even realise half of what we're saying is complaining.  I'm just going to blame England.

So before you read this, I just want everyone to be fully aware that I'm very happy and incredibly grateful that I have the opportunity to travel and study abroad etc, complaining is just part of who I am.

1. Americans.

Let me just start by saying that Americans are great and I actually love them.  Mostly the way they pronounce things, you know, like "oregano" and "Caribbean".  They're so friendly and helpful and nice, that I actually get suspicious of their intentions (just wait until you read my post about overly helpful Tinder guy).  However... my god, can they talk.  I had more conversations in my first 24 hours here, than the entire previous week.  I listened to non-stop chatter on my six hour flight from Detroit to Seattle... goddamn that middle seat.  They were honestly lovely, so I'll probably have to put some of it down to the exhaustion from all the travelling, but I have never wanted silence more.



2. Sales Tax.

What the fuck, America?

America does this dumb thing, where it pretends something costs one thing, but it actually doesn't.  They're like "hey, come buy this it's $3.99... lol jk TAX".  There are $1 stores where nothing is $1 by the time you checkout.  What is that about?  It's like dating a guy and then finding out he has a kid, when you're already Facebook official. (but then again, what would I know? like I've ever been Facebook official... or dated a guy with a kid... shut up, me.)

3. $1 bills

No really guys, these are so dumb.  They take up so much space is my purse *cough* sorry, my 'wallet' and they're worth so little.  I feel like I have loads of money (just kidding, I have no idea what that would feel like), and then I don't.  I also, don't get what's up with the coins here... Why is there no fifty cents coin?  Why is five cents twice the size of ten cents?  I accept that many currencies actually do this and, in fairness, 10p is bigger than 20p, but the number is clearly stated on English coins, which brings me to my next point: why don't they have their actual value listed on all of them? I have to actually research the currency so I know what I'm spending. What is a dime?  What is a quarter?  Okay, that one is kind of self explanatory.  I still think my point is valid, just put a number on it!


4. Lbs

The gym is not just a physical workout anymore, it's a mental and mathematical challenge.  I spend twice as long in the gym now, and half of that is just converting lbs to kgs.  Then, after I've converted lbs to kgs, I have to work out whether I want to try weights just above what I usually do, or just below... because 25lbs is about 11.3kg, which is not an option that's usually available to me.

5. Half Four

Americans don't understand me when I tell them the time.

Half four is an abbreviation for half past four.  I feel like it's quite simple, we've just omitted the 'past'.  If you ask me what time it is, and I say it's half four, I don't mean half past three... I don't mean two o'clock... I mean four thirty.  How does no one get this?

6. Netflix

Whaaaaaat?! NETFLIX? WHO COMPLAINS ABOUT NETFLIX?

I know, I know... usually not me, Netflix is my pal BUT American Netflix is not my friend.  Okay, maybe it is my friend.  I don't even know anymore, on one hand, I have access to every episode of Friends which is ultimately one of the best things imaginable (especially since I couldn't bring my boxset with me)... one the other hand, American Netflix has taken Orphan Black from me.


7. It's cold

Yup.  Not much to say about that... it's just really, really cold.  If it was too hot I'd probably complain about that too.

8. School

Registering for classes here is bizarre and semi-impossible.  What are electives and prerequisites and why is no one helping me?  I really didn't get it, and it took me over a week to sort it and I was in danger of getting deported for not fulfilling the requirements of my visa.

Also, Americans study SO MUCH.  I know that they pay probably triple for their education, but I feel like they're really getting their money's worth.  I have two classes per subject a week, and then hours of reading for each class and reading questions and summaries.  In London I just coast for most of the semester and try to pull it back at the end... I can't say that method's really working out for me though.






















9. Time Difference

This probably isn't America's fault and it's only annoying when I need advice or money and everyone back home is asleep.  I was also wearing my watch still set to UK time (eight hours ahead so I knew when not to text my homies from home) and then I realised that it was actually six hours ahead for some reason... so I don't really know what time zone I was in or why, I was just wearing a watch that said 7pm when it was 1pm local time.  So... there are several reasons Americans shouldn't ask me the time.


10. Roads

The roads are too big here.  Not only does it take about ten minutes to cross any road, it's pretty much terrifying doing so.  Also, they drive on the right here, which obviously I already knew, but in practise I get confused and I've missed buses because I was waiting on the wrong side of the road...


Comments